With only five ingredients, these yogurty snacks are a cinch to prepare. To make your life in the kitchen even easier, cut the tangy squares prior to freezing them.
Photo: Peter Chou
By Linda Melone
- 1 cup whole-grain granola
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, raspberries or combination
- 3 cups low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with foil.
- Sprinkle granola evenly on bottom of pan and set aside.
- In a blender, whirl together berries, yogurt, agave nectar and vanilla until blended. Pour berry mixture over granola, smoothing mixture to the edges of the pan. Cover with foil and freeze until firm, approximately 4 hours. Keep frozen until serving.
Nutrients per 2-inch square: Calories: 170, Total Fat: 2 g, Sat. Fat: 1.5 g, Carbs: 28 g, Fiber: 2 g, Sugars: 16 g, Protein: 10 g, Sodium: 64 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg
Nutritional Bonus: Each serving of these fruity squares is a good source of manganese, a trace mineral required by your body in smaller quantities than more well-known nutrient superstars like fiber, protein and carbs. But that doesn’t mean it’s any less vital. Manganese activates enzymes responsible for important nutrients like thiamin and choline, and helps you metabolize proteins and carbohydrates.